[mythtv] Re: Tivo Series 2

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:59:14 -0700

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 11:37:55AM -0800, Charles Choukalos wrote:
> >   38. Re: TiVo Series2 (Brent Borghese)
> Brent,
>
> I'm curious as I had looked rather hard at Tivo and
> ReplayTV.  I want a PVR that can access files from an
> external PC (aka my file server) and move its recorded
> files to said external PC so I can then view my
> recorded movies on my laptop when I'm on the road.  As
> far as I knew, you could only pull files off the
> series 1 TIVO (but had to jump through a lot of
> hurdles).  Can you do anything remotely similar with
> the Tivo Series 2?  How quite is the TIVO?  My huge
> beef with MythTV is it just makes way too much noise
> for me (Heck, I think the XBOX makes too much noise).
> Any one have good pointers for building a silent PC (I
> know I saw the case link on the main web page)....but
> when you're talking Athalon's, you're talking serious
> noise from just the CPU fan!.  So are the Shuttle
> boxes, the way to go or one of those Zalmin CPU
> coolers and a silent case?

You might want to check out the archives and also groups.google.com.  Quiet
PCs get discussed quite a bit on the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt group
among others.  You might also want to ask yourself how much the size of your
Myth box matters in your particular setup.  If you can afford the space
required for a standard medium tower case then you can cut your costs a bit
and gain a lot more flexability for cooling, motherboards and of course
extra tuners:) Ultimately cooling comes down to a compromise between noise,
effectiveness, money, space, and time.

--
Ray