[mythtv] should I wait, or should I build now?

Chris Liscio mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:01:44 -0500

> As I was searching for the "perfect" case for my myth box, I found this...
>
> http://www.interact-tv.com/index.php?Product

Gee, that really seems like a neat idea, except for the fact that my mythTV
box does the following:

* MythTV Functions (you know 'em all...)
* Wireless access point for my laptop
* DNS serving
* Web serving
* Mail serving
* Gaming (MAME et al...)
* The list grows as I get more nutty ideas...

Also, I can probably get my hands into MythTV a lot more easily than I'd
ever get my hands into something clearly targeted towards the end-user.
Just my 0.02 though.

> What cases are people using?

I got into the whole TVPC thing about a year or so ago when I purchased an
AOpen H300D microATX case and a Gigabyte GA7ZMMH mainboard (I don't
recommend the pairing of the two for anyone in the future as the board
doesn't fit properly in the case).

If I were to do it again, I might have went the route of an SS50G or
something in a full-ATX desktop form factor.  I really utilized my Dremel
(and did way too much research for my liking) to get a video card, tv card,
and network card into the case.  It's 3.75" high, so the cards all had to be
shaven down to fit inside.  At the time I did it, the project took way too
long to complete because the products were not readily available to me.

When all was said and done though, the case did turn out real nicely.  I
understand AOpen is extending its microATX line to include some black cases,
so if you're brave enough to go that way the option is there.  Also, AOpen
is now producing GeForce MX uATX cards that will fit inside the case from
the get-go so provided you can find all the right places to buy from.

In the end, I do plan on working towards a spec and pricing for a
MythTV-capable box so I can sell them to anyone who's interested.  After all
the work was put into the project, I have to say that it wasn't until I
found MythTV that I felt all the money was well-spent.  Once time becomes
more available to me, I will be a bit more verbose about the idea and start
some initial work towards that goal.

Hope this helps somebody in their decision.  I've been following the
microATX products for some time now and would be happy to answer any
questions.  I think the microATX form factor is slightly more AV-equipment
friendly in size than a cube, but that is my personal opinion...

Cheers,
Chris