[mythtv] security camera??

Mark Musone mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:16:02 -0500

that actually might fit in with one of the other things on my list (my
problem is that I've got too
many things on my list!!!)

anyways, it's an ability to issue remote (as in from an external source)
commands to mythtv.
For example, my phone rings, I want voicemail server to "send a message"
to mythtv
pausing what's playing for 5 seconds, and displaying onscreen the phone
number that called and the caller ID text.

so it'd connect to some socket or whatnot that mythtv is listening to
and say something like:

Pause 5
Overlay "555-1212 Mom's Cell"

so, anyways, I could see this fit in real well cause it'd be a command
like:

PIP Card-2 Video0

(i.e. pull up a PIP window, showing card 2's video0 input)

Lastly, and I'm not sure if this also fits in, is to have mythtv compile
in as a true lirc client, using the
lirc client libraries. Right now mythtv works through keypress
emulation, which is why people have a problem with
windows managers and keyboard focus. This would solve the problem (for
ir remotes anyways)

I'm bringing this up because lirc clients basically work by connecting
to a socket and listening for commands
essentially equivalent to the above ones (except lirc is generating the
commands based on IR input) however,
lirc comes with a stand alone client application to "stuff" it with
commands from other external sources

Theres sooo much more that this could be good for...popping up email via
overlay,
showing status, alerts..etc...and because of the simplistic nature of
most of these messages, it makes
sense to have a generic service versus making a whole module for each of
these things..

Just my $.02

-Mark