[mythtv] G400-TV questions

Michael Kedl mythtv-dev@snowman.net
5 Dec 2002 14:44:37 -0000

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 00:12:52 -0800, Bruce Markey <bjm@lvcm.com> wrote :

> Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:
> >         What did you guys need to do to get it working (version of
> > kernel, XFree86; XF86Config options)?  I have a Radeon 7500 AGP card
> > and have not succeeded in getting TV out working yet.  I've tried the
> > GATOS drivers with the XFree86 4.2.0 that comes with RedHat 8.0 but
> > mythtv won't run on even the regular VGA display because it can't find
> > Xv support.  I've tried a recent CVS build of XFree86 but the GATOS
> > drivers aren't compatible with it.
>
> TV out is NOT supported in the main CVS branch. You need
> to checkout specifically the "devel" branch for ati.2 .
> This branch is out of date so use the released version
> of drm-kernel rather than CVS. These were developed for
> use with XFree86 4.2.x.
>
> If you can get it to work for now then great but I'm not
> convinced ATI is a good choice for TV-out if GATOS isn't
> including TV-out in their current development.
>
> > ...I also tried the "atitvout"
> > program which apparently uses some BIOS calls to enable TV out but it
> > can't detect that the TV is connected.

The BIOS is usually what knows whether the TV is connected or not.
Just make sure to boot with the cable connected and the bios will detect it.
I'm not sure what it takes to make the TV out work if you connect the TV
after booting; winblows can do it so its just an "ask ATI" issue.

> Keep this handy. For me, whenever I leave X and go to a
> text virtual terminal the sync is messed up. I have to
> type blind to reset the screen with "atitvout".

I tie "atitvout -f l" and "atitvout -f t" to ctrl-alt-i (internal) and
ctrl-alt-t (tv) to avoid such things :-).

Mike