[mythtv] Hardware suggestions

Andrew Dacey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 14:49:19 -0400

Hi,

Apologies for the newbie question. I'm looking at putting together a
linux-based PVR system. Currently I'm leaning towards Freevo or MythTV but
that's a whole other debate I don't want to get started.

What I'm really looking for is hardware suggestions (I figure I can get the
software questions sorted out later). Cost is an issue. I'm currently
looking at the Matrox Marvel G400 TV as the video card for a number of
reasons. It seems to have good Linux support. It does hardware mjpeg
encoding and decoding. And, since it's an older card, I can get one for
pretty cheap. Are there any issues that I should be aware of with this card?
Are there other affordable options that I could be looking at?

What I'm also wondering, is what cpu speed I should be looking at if I want
to still be able to take advantage of time shifting or simultaneous
recording and playback (of previously recorded shows or DVD)? With the
hardware acceleration of the g400, I would imagine that I could get away
with a slower processor and still use full-screen NTSC.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@tildefrugal.net