[mythtv] no video with mythtv

Emil Friis mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 18:21:35 -0800 (PST)

Damn... I guess I should never put any promises like that
into writing :-)

Actually I wanted to wait until I got everything working
which I never got around to because the two tuners seemed to
interfere with each other and produce a really bad picture
which only got worse by putting it through Myth's encoding.

Originally I had pretty much done as you describe with the
Aux input on the card but that didn't work as you found out
yourself. Neither of my two cards seemed to support btaudio
(AverTV Stereo and Pinnacle PCTV), so I ended up enabling
the onboard audio on my ECS K7S5A (intel8x0 module) and used
the line in on that together with my Creative Ensoniq PCI as
the main sound card.

This worked fine except that some of the lower numbered
channels (approx. 4 - 6) were really bad quality. After that
I saw the MJPEG support was moving forward so I bought an
Iomega Buz and I am just setting up an AMD t-bird 900 MHz
with Gentoo to see if that will be good enough to use with
hardware encoding.

If this works out I might try again with the dual tuner
cards just to see if I can get it to work better.

-Emil

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 18:01:54 -0800 (PST), "Harondel J.
Sibble" wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2002 at 6:10, Emil Friis wrote:
>
> > Isaac. Thanks for the help Isaac - I'm planning to write
> > little doc on it that can be included in the existing
> > documentation.
>
> Emil, have you put together some words on dual tv cards
yet?

> I have my two cards in the machine and they both work fine
> with Xawtv.
> However, in Mythtv I don't seem to get anything when I hit
> to bring up the
> PiP window.  I know something is getting written to the
> ringbuf2.nuv file as
> it has a time/date stamp of earlier today when I was
playing
> with it.
>

> Also wondering on what sound devices to use as both cards
go
> through my
> SBLive!  My AverMedia TVPhone goes in the rear bracket
> line-in while my ATI
> TV Wonder goes internally to the auxilliary connector.
When
> running setup, I
> used /dev/dsp for audio for both cards as that seemed most
> appropriate.  Is
> there a better way of doing thso
>
> I know the TV Wonder has the msp34xx mixer chip that
> _should_ also give me
> some control over the audio for the card, however I haven't
> had much luck in
> controlling that interactively. Any suggestions?
>
> >> onboard audio which wasn't that easy - I ended up having
> > patch the kernel because of some issues with devfs and
the
> > way some of the sound components were loaded. Anyway - my
> What issues? I suspect that I'm probably experiencing some
> of the same.
>
> > When recording a show I tried to watch tv and it came up
> > with the usual "Watch show being recorded..." etc. How
do I
> > watch live on one card and record on the other?
> Hmm, I am wondering the same thing, what it almost looks
> like is that one
> card is recording (scheduled) and one card is allowing me
> watch tv.... I
> think....  The only reason I say that, is that even though
> recording is
> underway, I don't always get the message about "recording
in

href="http://mail.telocity.com/jump/http://www.pdscc.com">http://www.pdscc.com</a>