[mythtv] Why won't PERL install?

Nathan Ziarek mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:30:17 -0600

So, with no luck from RedHat, I decided to jump ship to Mandrake, where
ALSA wouldn't be so hard for me to setup. In a matter of a month I went
from never having a Linux system before to burning my 8th Linux CD.
Anyway...

I followed the instructions perfectly from the HowTos, but on the XMLTV
installation part, I am having trouble. It keeps quitting on me, telling
me it can't find perl located in something like
/usr/bin/xxxxxxxxxx-5.8.0xxx/PERL.h

I browse through there and find that the directory structure all exists,
but there is no file perl.h...when I search for it, I don't find one
anywhere on my system.

I installed Perl using the "urpmi perl gcc gcc-c++ freetype2-devel
cdialog alsa-utils" line, and it calculated the dependencies etc and
seemed to work (no error messages, at least). After I received the error
in the XML installation, I went to the KDE Package manager to install
it, found the perl package, marked it, and clicked install...nothing
happened. I can't quite figure out what it is doing, but my guess is
nothing.

Any help getting perl installed? What am I doing wrong...?

Thanks,

Nate