[mythtv] hardware needed to smoothly record a show while watching another

Peter M Schuh mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:05:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi-

I've read through the mailing list and the documentation, but I haven't
seen any direct answers to this question:

What hardware does it take to record a show on one channel while watching
another channel (and preserving the ability to pause the one that's
being watched)?

Does anyone have this working?  If so, let me know what CPU, RAM and tuner
cards you have.  Does the hardware MPEG support make enough of a
difference that one can have a slower CPU (or is it not implemented well
enough yet).  The docs say that an AMD 1800+ can "almost" do this, but I'm
curious what actually does do it.

Thanks,

Peter