[mythtv] Is it possible to install mythtv to a PC without a TV card and use as a "client"

Randy Page mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:57:23 -0700

On Friday 13 December 2002 06:39 pm, Christopher Mind wrote:
> In the mythtv settings.txt there is the directory setting for recording.
> Can this be a \\SMB_Machine\Directory. ( I have a 100 mbit connection
> between these two machines and use xine to playback mpeg from the other pc
> via the network connection with no lag)  The mysql database can be
> recreated on this TV Tunerless machine using mysqldump.  Its main purpose
> is to access the recordings and play back.  It would even be better if the
> MythTV database can be accessed and modified from this "client" machine so
> that you can do pretty much everything except record movies.  I know that
> MythTV is headed in this general direction but if there is a way to do this
> now, then it can tide us over until the mythtv release with the
> server-client capability.  Thanks

I don't think that this would work too well.  To my mind, the fact that myth
is encoding and then decoding even when watching live tv, and that hdd
performance is such a large determining factor wrt performance leads me to
believe that this wouldn't work very well.

The client/server model (I'm assuming here) would be done in such a way that
the encode/decode would be done on the server and then the output stream
would be dumped out the socket to the client, with no hdd activity at all
taking place on the client end, thus reducing the load on the client machine
(all it's doing is displaying the video stream right?).

Course I could be right out to lunch though...... ;-).

Randy