[mythtv] Is it possible to install mythtv to a PC without a TV card and use as a "client"

Colin Panisset mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:28:59 -0800

On Friday 13 December 2002 19:07, Randy Page spake thus:
> On Friday 13 December 2002 07:50 pm, Colin Panisset wrote:
> > Gaah! Why would you want to pipe decoded video across the network?
> > That's horribly wasteful of bandwidth! Have the client decode the
> > video.
>
> Hmm.  Yeah, I can see that would would certainly save on bandwidth, but
> on an internal 100 meg lan would it really be an issue (I'm asking here,
> not trying to be a smartass)?  I guess it could certainly become an issue
> if you had many streams playing.  I think the determining factor would be
> the codec used for playback, resolution, framerate, etc.

Well, let's assume that uncompressed it's a 16-bit image (YUV is 12 bits, I
think, which means that 8 bit is too small). At 640x480@30fps (NTSC),
that's about 17.5Mbps, which is a little more than can be squoze out of a
100Mbps network :)

480x480 works out at about 13Mbps, 320x480 at about 8.8Mbps, and 480x240 at
around 6.5Mbps.

Note: these are back-o-the-brain calculations, and may be even further out
to beer than I was before :)

> > > Course I could be right out to lunch though...... ;-).
> >
> > Well, I'm just about right out to beer, so take my $0.02 with a grain
> > of salt :)
>
> And after a long day of moving exchange mailboxes from one server to
> another manually, I'm heading out for a few nice pint's of Rickard's Red
> myself ;-).

Just finished wrestling with Solaris clusters for the day, so it's time for
a Sturdy Homebrew (tm) :)

  -- C.