[mythtv] System Plans

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:41:08 -0700

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 11:43:50AM -0600, Andy wrote:

> Thanks.  Sounds like everybody is advising I avoid Debian, so I'll take that
> advice :)  Sounds like Red Hat or Mandrake seem good possibilities.

I use Debian for just about everything but it's hard to recommend for a
beginner.  My (somewhat limited) experience with Mandrake has been very
positive.  Every RH install I've done I've regretted but in fairness most of
them have been .0 releases.

> I'm still concerned about what I'll do for sound.  If my C-Media onboard
> doesn't work, I'll have to look around.  Anybody using a Forissimo 2 (or any
> other Cirrus 4624 or 4630 based sound card, like the Turtle Beach, Hercules
> Game Theater, etc?)  ALSA seems to support them according to the web page,
> but I haven't heard how well for this application.

I don't know how up to date the Alsa web page is but you really should
probably search the archives for references to your C-Media chipset.  The TB
SC card sounds like a good choice as well.

>  Like I said before, I
> really dislike Creative as a company based on past experiences, and don't
> like giving them my dollars anymore.  I want to avoid a Live if I can.  I'll
> buy a cheap one if I have to, though.

While the SB cards are reasonably well supported they arn't any better
supported (or sounding for that matter) than many other brands.

--
Ray