[mythtv] Stable CVS Version 0.8?

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:15:35 -0500

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:31:34PM -0600, J Flowers wrote:

> Pardon the question (especially if it's in a FAQ or somewhere), but; is
> there a way to know the branch (or version) of the latest, working, stable
> CVS 0.8.x version of MythTV?
>
> I keep seeing posts where people say, "Oh, that was fixed in CVS." So, I'm
> trying to find a version of MythTV from CVS that compiles cleanly and
> works.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> I did check out the latest version (as of today around noon) of MC from
> CVS, but I am having a few compilation problems. I suppose I could fix
> them, but I'm really more looking for the version that everyone else is
> using and happy with.

The version that most people are using and happy with is 0.7.  The code in
CVS is undergoing significant changes, and comes with no expectation of
stability or usability.

To say that something was fixed in CVS means:

- The problem has already been dealt with, so there is no need for further
  effort to investigate or fix it
- It will be fixed in the next release
- Information about how it was fixed is available from the CVS repository
- If you are willing to accept any problems you encounter, or provide useful
  feedback or fixes, you may wish to try the CVS version

It is not usually meant to imply that the CVS version is a suitable
replacement for the current stable release.  If it were so, a new release
would be made.

Of course, I speak only for myself, but this is what I mean when I mention a
bugfix in pre-release software.

That said, the code in CVS compiles for me, and if you were able to compile
0.7, but not CVS, in the same environment, then it might be a bug and you
should provide details about the failure.

--
 - mdz