[mythtv] simple mixer - lirc

Colin Panisset mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:42:11 -0800

On Monday 16 December 2002 11:17, Nathan Langley spake thus:
> I have my remote volume keys mapped to F21 and F22 that I then use to
> launch aumix to change the volume.
>
> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 13:09, Tony Clark wrote:
> > There maybe another way to do this, but it would be nice for mythtv to
> > include a simple mixer so the volume could be controlled by the remote
> > control.  It is probabley not the simplest things to do as linux is not
> > all that sound card friendly.  I've taken out my sound blaster live and
> > put in an old SB pci64 card I had lying around and my sound quality has
> > improved quite a bit and things work properly even with oss.

I have lirc control the master ALSA volume, thus:

---- Begin snippet ----
begin
   prog = irexec
   button = volup
   config = amixer -q sset Master,0 1+ unmute
end

begin
   prog = irexec
   button = voldn
   config = amixer -q sset Master,0 1-
end

begin
   prog = irexec
   button = mute
   config = amixer -q sset Master,0 mute
   config = amixer -q sset Master,0 unmute
end
---- End snippet ----

This way, mythtv doesn't need a mixer module (there's already an ALSA one,
why duplicate it?). I pre-set the PCM and Line levels to maximum, and just
tweak the Master level up and down. Works fine, and can be done just as
well for OSS (or aRts, or whatever else you use) too.

  -- C.