[mythtv] compile/install problems

Bruce Markey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:44:56 -0800

Robert Kulagowski wrote:

>>>Are you saying that the second time that you ran ldconfig it
>>>worked without moving the mythlib files into /usr/lib?
>>
>>yes.
>

> Curious.  Is anyone else using RH8.0 able to confirm this?  I'll add
> it to the HOWTO if it's confirmable.

Robert, I'm not using RH8.0 but I see a possible point of
confusion. Section 4.3 is "Modifying /etc/ld.so.conf" then
section is 5 is "Downloading and compiling." The "ldconfig"
in 4.3 is a good sanity check doesn't help if libmyth*
hasn't been installed.

If 'make install' is run as root per section 5.4, "make"
will run "ldconfig". However, if you 'make install' as a
unprivileged user (which I do intentionally ;-) "ldconfig"
still needs to be run as root after the installation.

--  bjm