[mythtv] "Strange Error Flushing Buffer" problem

Richard Bowman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
17 Dec 2002 00:18:22 -0500

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 23:20, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Monday 16 December 2002 11:14 pm, Richard Bowman wrote:
> > After reading all of the archives and trying a number of things, I'm
> > still getting this "strange error flushing buffer" problem. Myth will
> > run now for about 15 seconds in Live TV mode (I am able to pause and
> > unpause TV during this time) before dying in a series of
> >
> > VIDIOCSYNC0: Invalid argument
> > VIDIOCSYNC1: Invalid argument
> >
> > lines repeating over and over again (after this, the whole system is
> > fairly unstable; typically no other programs will start without
> > faulting). I don't think the error is because of my sound card because I
> > tried a SB PCI 16 which I saw recommended as a good solution for people
> > with on-board sound and still cannot get any farther than this.
> >
> > I'm using release 0.7 on RedHat 8 (NVidia GF2MX with latest drivers,
> > Athlon XP 1800+)
> >
> > Is anyone aware of any other situations beside the sound card that would
> > cause this "Strange error flushing buffer" problem?? This is really a
> > project I'd like to contribute, but I need to get past this show stopper
> > and get the thing working well on my machine.
>
> >From the FAQ:
>
> ) What's this 'strange error flushing buffer' mean?
> - Nothing, really.  It's just lame (the mp3 encoder) complaining for some
>   obscure reason.
>
> As for the other problems, it sounds like your tuner card drivers are going
> wacky.

I'm using a ATI TV Wonder VE I just got because I read it worked well.
You think the VIDIOCSYNC problem is occuring because of my tuner card?
One thing I've noticed is if I don't have my mixer settings set right
(setting capture and line in volume in alsamixer) and I turn them up
while 'mythtv' is running, this VIDIOSYNC message starts appearing
immediately afterwards. But if I have all the mixer settings right
before starting 'mythtv', it works for a while, I am able to change
channels, but without fail the mentioned lines start exploding onto the
console after about 15-20 seconds.

Richard