[mythtv] Quality of TV out and vga to tv converters?

Chris Liscio mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:39:42 -0500

Hi Rob,

Here is my settv script that I call just before starting up mythfrontend:

---
peanut:/home/mythtv# cat settv
#!/bin/sh

# Set the tv-out parameters.
sudo nvtv -t -S NTSC -r 640,480 -s Normal --set flicker:75 --set
sharpness:100 --set Brightness#:-20 --set Contrast#:-30 --set saturation#:30
--set chromabandwidth:100 --set lumabandwidth:100

# Set the v4l parameters
v4lctl color 75%

# Set the mixer to record the auxillary line
amixer set Aux mute record

# Turn off the annoying screen saver
xset -dpms s off
peanut:/home/mythtv#
---

The nvtv line does quite a bit to my display quality.  I like the flicker
filter to be lowered quite a bit more than what it is right now (usually 25
or 50%) because the "flicker" is unnoticeable with live tv (or any other
moving picture) but unbearable when using your desktop.  Because I do often
use the tv to hack around (the cvs version likes to go down a lot lately) I
have mine jacked up.

The v4lctl line is up to you to modify.  I no longer need it with CVS since
my picture quality settings have been applied, but it may buy you even more
customizability.

The amixer line does exactly what it needs to do so that I can ensure that
all is well with the Aux settings when I start mythtv.

Finally, xset prevents the screen from going purple or starting any
screensavers.

Hope this helps out,

Chris