[mythtv] Shuttle kit for $300

Eric C. Cooper mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:08:59 -0500

I've been lurking on this list while I get MythTV running on my
Shuttle SS50 box, but thought I'd pass along this pointer:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?Id=31

It's a Shuttle SS50 with a 1.8 GHz Celeron and 128 MB of DDR memory
for $300.  (I have no connection to Tiger other than as a satisfied
customer.)

That's not enough memory, and you'd have to add a HD and tuner, but it
seems like a good base for a Myth box, especially if you have the other
components already.

The fan is too loud for my taste (couldn't have it in the same room as
a home theatre or bedroom TV, for example), but that may be because
I'm using a 2.4GHz Pentium IV.  The Shuttle board has a
temperature-sensing fan, so a cooler system might also be quieter.

I'm pretty happy with the Shuttle system so far.  The only thing I
haven't set up yet is audio.  TV out quality is quite good (you have
to use Thomas Winischhofer's drivers, from
http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsis630.shtml), and watching live,
pausing, and recording all work well.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u