[mythtv] performance

Monty Walls mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:01:22 -0600

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:57:27 -0800
"Kevin Bowen" <kevin@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> >The big thing about the Gatos drivers is the improved Xv support.  As far
> >as AIW, I would avoid it still (due to the Tv-out support issues).
> OK, I'm a linux newbie... googled for 'Xv' - are you talking about the image
> editing program? If so, how does it relate to myth? or is this a case of
> mistaken acronyms?

Xv aka Xvideo (like hardware image scaling support).

You also want the dri developement tree parts for the radeon to get better
OpenGL support (Mythepg seems to want to direct rendering).

> >On the SoundBlaster Live, SBLive has a history of causing PCI problems
> >on all vendors motherboards (VIA just being the most affected).
> Can you point me to more info on this? I've been using the Live for quite
> some time and have gotten fairly familiar with the community at large's
> views on the card... I do amateur/pro/audio/recording work and have found
> the card great for my purposes (its basicly a rebadged, rebundled version of
> a card which sells under pro audio monickers for 10x more) and isn't known
> to have any troubling PCI issues... at least under windows... are the
> problems you speak of linux-specific? Stability issues? I've had the card
> running very stable under redhat so far, so I'd have no reason to switch to
> something else unless I discovered it had been implicated in performance
> issues.

Problems are mostly Windows specific (also check out
http://www.kxproject.spb.ru/docs.php?language=en)

There were lots of tech articles last year on it.

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls@castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission