[mythtv] Linux DVR News

Henk Poley mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:03:45 +0100

> Van: John S Flowers <johnsflowers@mac.com>
>> On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 06:14  AM, Henk Poley wrote:
>>
>> http://freeplaytv.org/
>>  - this guy is working on intergrating DVD in MythTV (isn't it?). Could
>> become a 'unstable' (you get the jargon) development site?
>
> One project we're trying to get finished is DVD recording with MythTV.
>
> The site is mostly about getting people the resources they need to
> build a PVR (using MythTV, of course), even if they aren't that
> technical. You'll notice a whole smattering of the site is dedicated to
> putting together the hardware and actually building the kernel (and
> other apps) to get MythTV working.
>
> By the way, getting DVD working isn't the tough part. The toughest
> thing about DVD is writing a DVD using MPEG-2. We can play DVDs all day
> long. It's the process of migrating the recorded shows onto a Video DVD
> that turns out to be the hardest work. Mostly because I don't want to
> wait around while the system re-encodes everything into MPEG-2.

Hmm, but wouldn't it be better to separate 'newbie' stuff from the more
advanced 'I want DVD recording' ?

Yes I know, combining the two could be better (idea cross-over, etc.), but
I grok that although most normal users would like the idea of DVD
play/record it's still in a premature state and needs some development in
the comming months. You don't want people to try out 'unstable' stuff just
because they think it's cool, if they didn't even try the 'stable'
package..

Developing a site for just the sole purpose of adding DVD recording to
MythTV and then 'flushing' it, since it's no longer needed, might be stupid
(probably won't happen in this way, I know). Creating a developer
community-site which can even host multiple OpenSource PVR/DVR/HTPC
projects (or at least chat/forums/etc. about them) might just be better.

I know that it's a thin line seperating these two (proposed) sites.

> If we could just write directly to MPEG-2 and then burn a DVD
> on-demand, without encoding the recording again, that would be
> wonderful.

Yes, but it seems to be difficult to do MPEG2 in realtime using software.
Or at least, no one has written something that can do this. Good luck
anyways :-)

	Henk Poley <><