[mythtv] dvd revisited (and remoted)

Larry Matter mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 03:13:33 -0800 (PST)

For those that are interested, I got videolan working tonight playing a
dvd remotely.  Here is a quick summary:

On my 10/100 lan, it works fine.  Over 802.11b, it totally sucks.  I was
not surprised that it sucked, but I was surprised at how much it sucked.
It was like watching a slideshow (and I was 5 feet from the AP).

As far as this being a solution to my original post, it is workable, but
not ideal so I'm not sure how much further I will take this - at this
point the benefit seems more that it would be "cool" rather than useful.

You control the VideoLan server via telnet; you will need some code to get
this to work with lirc.  There is no rew/ff and no menus/chapter
selection.  You start the movie, pause, resume and stop.  Pause takes
about 2 seconds to kick in.

dhcp on the client is a problem unless you use multicast.

audio sync was not perfect but good enough that it didn't bother me.  CPU
utilization on my athlon 1200Mhz was about 15%.  There was the occasional
hicup even when playing locally even though CPU was low - not sure why.

Larry Matter