[mythtv] Initial install...

Kent Loobey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:27:32 -0800

On Sunday 22 December 2002 01:13 pm, you wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 12:59:40PM -0800, Kent Loobey wrote:
> > After a couple of false starts I finally got to the following messages:
>
> What false starts?  Did you forget to follow the instructions in the
> Prerequisites section?

I read the Prerequisites section many times and then *very* carefully did
each step.  However, Linux folk always brag about, unlike Windows, the fact
that they don't need to reboot during installs.  So I didn't.  So when I got
to the step of installing mythtv it didn't find that MySQL was running.

I suppose most users know what they are doing.  In this case I have never
used MySQL before and have never used the DEBCONF_PRIORITY feature of apt_get.

> > Setting up mythtv (0.7-12) ...
> > DBI->connect(host=localhost;database=) failed: Access denied for user:
> > 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES) at -e line 5
> > Can't call method "do" on an undefined value at -e line 6, <> line 1.
> > dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  mythtv
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> > spud:/home/kent#
> >
> > Can any one give me a clue as to what I should do next?
> >
> > I am running Debian 3.0 (2.4.18-bf2.4).
> >
> > Thanks for any help you might give.
>
> This means that it was unable to connect to MySQL using the default
> username (root) and password (empty) to create the database.  By default,
> it does not prompt for this information because most users use the
> defaults.
>
> apt-get --purge remove mythtv
> DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low apt-get install mythtv
>
> so that it asks all of the questions.
>
> In the next version, I suppose i will have it always ask for the password.

Thank you for your help.