[mythtv] How do I convert from a one tuner setup to a two tuner setup? how to avoid 2 gig file barrier?

Chris mythtv-dev@snowman.net
28 Dec 2002 23:24:20 -0500

I have MythTV 0.7 running in Redhat 8 and installed a second tv tuner.
With Xawtv I can access both tuners independently by using the -c
parameter (and run them both at the same time, with the sound output
mixed)   My First TV Tuner is an ATI TV Wonder while the second is an
ATI TV Wonder VE.  I have the first tuner connected via cd in and the VE
tuner connected via Line IN. I also have an existing database of
recorded videos.  I want to be able to use the 2nd tuner for recording
(or watching live TV) when the first tuner is busy.  If I run setup
again to associate a channel source with the 2nd tuner, will it erase my
database of recordings?  Also, how do you configure the recording of
audio.  When Tuner 1 is selected for recording, the capture device
should be CD in while with Tuner 2 it should be Line in.  Kmix does not
let me select both for capture. MythTV setup does ask what dsp device I
should use for each tuner.  (Does this mean I need a second sound card
so I have a /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1) If I select either cd in or line in,
the other tuner may not record sound.  The other problem I have run into
is that I am using a vfat file system for video storage and am running
into the 2 gig file barrier with movies over 2 hours.  Any suggestions
on what fstab settings I need and what filesystems.  I am thinking of
creating an ext2 filesystem and copying over all my existing recordings.
Will this work?  I think I will run into the 2 gig barrier even with
recordings a little less than 2 hours long because I have increased the
resolution and data rate to increase quality. I have put together an AMD
AThlon XP 2400 system with a Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum because I
did not like the frame dropping on my P3 1 Ghz with simultaneous
recording and playback.  The system does come with a C Media onboar
audio which I have disabled for now.  Thanks for any help.