[mythtv] Possible bug from "setup" using tv_grab_uk

Mr. Adam ALLEN mythtv-dev@snowman.net
29 Dec 2002 22:39:41 +0000

--=-HYgtq33amNUmx4W+cqKy

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 18:34, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 05:19:21PM +0000, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
>=20
> > I've got tv_grab_uk to have a --list-providers (the postcode isn't used
> > but handled to maintain compatibility with grab_na). For providers my
> > initial idea was:
> >  Analogue Terrestrial (one for each region, Central, Yorkshire, etc)
> >  Digital Terrestrial (FREEVIEW)
> >  Analogue Cable (NTL)
> >  Digital Cable (NTL)
> >  (etc)
>=20
> Does it make sense to have a post code?  That, is, would it be possible t=
> intelligently guess which providers are available given a geographic
> location, if you had that information?  If not, don't bother with it;
> there's no need to support all of tv_grab_na's options unless they make
> sense.
>=20

It would be better to have a region in the case of the UK.=20
For the UK grabber the data required for region is=20
"Anglia, Border, Carlton, Central....."=20

I'll assume that postcode sent from the GUI translates to the UK region.

I'm not sure if it's safe to assume that the user would type this in
correctly. A drop-down box in the GUI would be perfect- if that small
addition is possible. If this drop down box isn't added to the GUI, it
can be taken care of by adding additional providers, but this would be
neater overall.

> > So far in GUI terms with the user would enter their postcode, and selec=
> > tv_grab_uk, and then choose a provider.
>=20
> Or rather, first select tv_grab_uk, then enter their postcode and choose =
> provider.
>=20
> > At this point there needs to be some intelligence in XMLTV to gather th=
> > correct channels for NTL Digital Cable- as I see it this would be all N=
TL
> > channels  available.=20
>=20
> Yes...what about the other providers?  Are you planning to include the
> channel list in the grabber?

That was the plan, there area three clear cases.

Terrestrial which are 5 well defined channels - unlikely to ever change
Freeview - limited set of digital channels - can't see it changing for a
while.
Cable/Satellite - add all the channels applicable to the cable provider.

I've found information regarding which providers provide which channels,
this needs to be concise and clean in the code though.

> > There then needs to be a facility in MythTV to be able to drop channels
> > which are not required (QVC/TV Shopping/News..), and channels which
> > might not be in their package.
>=20
> Yes, this will probably be a generic channel selector for all grabbers
> (maybe saving the settings differently, depending on how that falls out).
>=20

That's what I though, once MythTV has the full set of channels available
for the provider (based on Terrestrial, Freeview, Cable/Sat). and then
the user tailors that further.

I'd be glad if I didn't have to choose the channels as is the case with
tv_grab_uk currently.

> > I see it to be a time consuming to integrate a providers individual
> > packages as different providers e.g "Telewest Base Package", "NTL Base
> > Package", "NTL Family Pack".
>=20
> I don't think this level of granularity is necessary, myself; these thing=
> tend to change with time anyway.  Users can easily enough select the
> channels that they actually receive.

I wouldn't be keen on having to maintain this, my particular cable
provider wasn't too efficient on letting me as a customer know about.

It would be the perfect solution to save the end-user work.

>=20
> > There doesn't seem to be a facility to do this in the CVS version I
> > dragged out this morning. Maybe a GUI based channel editor to just
> > display the channels available, and allow channels not required to be
> > deleted. ???
>=20
> Right now, the approach is to add all channels, and the user can change t=
hem
> by hand or using tv_grab_XX --configure.  This seems sufficient until a
> graphical channel editor is added.

If a graphical channel editor is on the way that's great, I think it's
more than likely that any modification would add more channels than a
user might be entitled to depending on the subscription they hold.=20

=46rom the tv_grab_uk, there is no support for the tv_grab_uk --configure
to reconfigure channels, but this could be added without too much work.

> > > (This is sure to get fun in terms of conflict resolution once people
> > > have tuner 1 connected to a Freeview box, and tuner 2 connected to Sk=
> > > Digital - especially as some channels are available on both services =
:)
> >=20
> > Not sure if that is an issue or not for conflict resolution.... If ther=
> > doesn't exist a method already someway of  binding a paritcular
> > videosource to capturecard. And then some intelligence in the conflict
> > resolution to shift programs around. Since my TV card has disappeared i=
> > another box for now, I'm not quite sure how this all fits together.
>=20
> Currently, I believe channels are strictly per-videosource, i.e., any two
> channels on two different sources are always considered to be different.
> This could presumably be enhanced in the future to recognize if two chann=
els
> are actually identical, if someone wants to do it.

I'm certainly not looking to do that personally- and I'll ignore the
issue of conflict resolution for now.

--=20
Regards,
Adam Allen.