[mythtv] Dev environment

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:49:06 -0500

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 02:01:08PM -0900, Jeff Cotterman wrote:

> I looked around the mailing archives and the faq, and couldn't find the
> answer, so I thought I'd ask here.
>
> I see Issac, your using Debian Unstable, I am also, however I was just
> wondering which gcc/g++ your using, as there are 4 different versions
> currently in unstable, 277, 2.95, 3.0, and 3.2...

277?  Maybe you're confusing the GNU Fortran 77 compiler (g77) with the C
compiler?

I'm using 2.95 on unstable and testing systems here, and it works without a
hitch.  Some others use 3.2.

> I'm assuming 3.2, but I just wanted to make sure I was on the same as most
> everyone else...  2.95 I get an internal compiler error trying to compile
> Mythtv, 3.0 stops on line 2128 of NuppelVideoPlayer.cpp.
>
> This happens on both the .7 release and the CVS version.  But before I
> delved any deeper, I wanted to make sure that the simple solution wasn't
> just "Use g++ 3.2"

Any internal compiler error is a gcc bug.  There is really no reason to use
3.0 on i386; use either 2.95 (tried and true) or 3.2 (latest stable
release and soon default).

--
 - mdz