[mythtv] Request for sample system configurations

Dan Schwarz mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:40:24 -0500

I am assembling a test system to try out mythtv.  Can anyone provide
details of their system configurations? Video in, out, processor, ram,
hd, IR send/receive (if any).

Right now I have a Pentium III/550 running Debian unstable -
underpowered but perhaps it'll work in low resolution mode, and I can
upgrade to a new processor if necessary.  Plenty of hard disk space.

I need a PCI or USB TV tuner/video capture card, and I'm considering the
Hauppage WinTV 401 (PCI) which seems to be popular and under $100 on
ebay. I'm not considering their "Go" models which are under $50

Their "PVR" models add hardware Mpeg2 compression onboard, but I am told
this compression is not usable under Linux therefore will not help
mythtv. True?  If I could find a supported board with hardware
compression, perhaps I wouldn't need that processor upgrade.

Thanks for any info.

Regards,

Dan Schwarz
http://www.winecentric.com/wiki/