[mythtv] TV-Out on a big screen TV

Kevin Jensen mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:20:59 -0600

Jason,
Get a Radeon 8500 and a Audio Authority transcoder and you will be set.

You do not need a beefy video card.  Spend your money on a faster processor,
it will be more benefit for you.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-dev-admin@snowman.net
[mailto:mythtv-dev-admin@snowman.net]On Behalf Of Jason Ford
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 6:11 PM
To: mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Subject: Re: [mythtv] TV-Out on a big screen TV

> TV Out quality sucks.  Get a breakout box that converts VGA -> component
> video and you will have much better picture.

So, if I'm going to be outputting the signal to an HDTV display, I'll
need a transcoder to convert the signal from VGA to component video for
optimal results.

PC -> video card -> transcoder -> HDTV =)

However, some video cards will do the job of getting the signal to the
transcoder better, right?  A card with more memory will be capable of
transmitting a signal at a higher resolution to the transcoder.

I'm not sure how the requirements for MythTV translate into recommended
specifications for the various components.  Do I need a beefy video
card? Is a GeForce2 MX 400 suitable?

Is anyone else watching MythTV on an HDTV display?

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. I think it'd be cool to have a page on mythtv.org devoted to user
setups, so we can show off our MythTV (boxes | boxen).