[mythtv] New user experiences and questions

Shawn Pearce mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:12:55 -0500

Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> > Last, the database of recorded shows should be updated at the BEGINNING of
> > a recording, not at the end.  If the machine crashes or loses power before
> > recording finishes, MythTV forgets that it ever recorded the show and the
> > MPEG file containing it becomes orphaned.  Passing the filename as a
> > commandline argument to mythtv doesn't play it.  (Related question:  How
> > to I play recorded files that aren't in the database?)
>
> I have it updating at the end because I don't want partial recordings in my
> database, and I don't want things showing up in the UI before they've
> finished recording.  It'd be a simple matter to write up a little wrapper
> program like the 'mythv' program to play single files, but I've never spent
> the time to do it.

ReplayTV will put the program into the menu as soon as it starts
to record.  This allows the user to watch it while the recording is
already in progresss.  And is very sweet, IMHO.

Partial recordings suck, but they are eating disk space with no
way for the user to easily delete them from the GUI then.

I'd say insert them in the database on recording start, and then
if it becomes partial, let the user know its partial in the GUI and
let them delete it normally.

--
Shawn.