[mythtv] first time trying to setup MythTV

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:38:47 -0500

On Saturday 09 November 2002 10:14 am, Reggie Burnett wrote:
> Setup (until I get it working):
> AMD Athlon 1700
> 1 gig ram
> AverTV Stereo
> Soundblaster Value
> GeForce 2
> RedHat 8.0
> MythTV 0.6
>
> Kudos to RedHat 8 for finding the AverTV card and setting it up
> automagically.  Xawtv worked right out of the gate.
>
> Experience (mainly issues, if it is not listed assume it went well):
> 1.  Had difficulty getting MySQL setup correctly mainly because the
> README did not indicate where the mysql.txt file should be so that the
> different proggies could find it.  I finally looked in setup's main.cpp
> to see where it was looking.

Err, all you have to do is 'make install', and it puts all the various
settings files in the appropriate places.  The README says to do that before
it tells you to run setup.  The README also says that you can put any of the
settings files into your ~/.mythtv/ directory if you want.

> 2.  could not get xmltv to install correctly because XML::Twig would not
> install.  I used the CPAN module interface to download and attempt
> install of it.  It kept failing on the testing part.  I tried to force
> an install of XML::Twig but the install script for xmltv sensed that it
> was not working and bailed.

Addressed in the FAQ on the webpage -- 4th question.

> 3.  My avertv card was apparently setup as /dev/video0 but I left the
> audio as /dev/dsp.  Running MythTV brought tv fullscreen but the audio
> was running a full 1-2 seconds ahead of the video.
>
> 4.  Hit Esc to attempt close of MythTV.  The video portion left the
> screen but the audio continued on.

Fourth question in the FAQ in the distribution.

Isaac