[mythtv] playback quality

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:30:26 -0700

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:30:56PM -0800, Allen T. Gilliland IV wrote:
> I've got my mythtv setup and running normal now, but
> the quality is not all that great.

Could you be a little more descriptive?  Is it jerky, slow, lots of
compression artifacts what?  Does it change if you just record and palyback
later rather than watching while recording?  What resolution are you
encoding at?

>  I am using my
> older machine which has:
>
> AMD T-bird 1200Mhz
> GeForce 2 MX 400
> SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA :(
> WinTV-dbx 401
> IBM 25GB UDMA HD @ 14.81MB/s
> Gentoo Linux 2.4.19
> rtjpeg codec

How was that hard drive speed measured?  At first glance I'd say that could
be your bottleneck.  Do you have any other specs on the drive?

> I am wondering how well this machine should perform.
> My picture when watching tv on my monitor is not all
> that great ... I am going to assume this is the fault
> of my gf2 MX.  However the card should be more than
> capable of doing 60fps on any resolution with better
> rates than a tv.  Would a radeon or gf3/4 serve me
> better?

A faster video card isn't going MythTV one way or the other IMHO.

--
Ray