[mythtv] DirectTv, etc.

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:51:36 -0700

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 10:18:03PM -0600, Robert Kulagowski wrote:

> Why use zap2it when you can get guide data from TVGuide?

xmltv uses zap2it because.... well that's what they felt like.  Myth
currently uses xmltv because Isaac felt like it.  It currently
works just fine except:

1.  It doesn't retrieve title and descriptions for the ppv channels.
2.  Same as above for local channels (netorks) accessed via directv.

What I'm attempting is to make a grabber for xmltv that uses the guide
available at www.directv.com in place of zap2it in order to fill in the gaps
or act as a replacement for the current grabber.

> http://www.cherrynebula.net/projects/tvlisting/tvlisting.html
>
> After compiling it on my system, getting the service ID for Central
> DirecTV region, I ran it like this:
>
> % tvlisting --serviceid=63892 --dumper > a.dumper

Maybe I havn't looked at it hard enough but tvlisting seems to have the same
limitations as the current xmltv + Zap2it.  It gave me channels 199-654 and
that's it.  Is is possible to get the other channels?

The reason I'm working within xmltv is that's what Myth allready uses and
all I'd need to write is the grabber, everything else keeps working exactly
the way it does now.  The output of tvlisting does look nice and easy to
deal with if it can be made to retrieve the missing channels.

--
Ray