[mythtv] VGA to NTSC scan converters

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:55:38 -0800 (PST)

I don't actually have one of these devices (yet) but I'll probably get one
soon (after all I started this thread!)

But I can tell you this:  I work for a visual effects company doing
computer-based special effects for feature film.  The footage we get is
usually 2K (2048x1556) and we'll drop our finals down to a PVR to do
checks.  There is a HUGE difference between scaling down a 2K frame vs.
recording the actual NTSC frame (720x486).  Night and day.  Of course,
same thing goes for audio.  Recording at 24-bit, then dithering to 16-bit
for final CD is MUCH better than doing straight 16-bit.  I'd guess that
the same rules apply here.