[mythtv] Couple Newbie Questions

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:18:15 -0800 (PST)

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:03:44PM -0800, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
>
>> > Since you're using onboard audio, your time would be better spent
>> getting a real sound card.  They are quite inexpensive now, and the
>> quality is far superior to onboard sound in my experience.
>> >
>> Sure.  I agree with you 100%...BUT...this is a TEST machine.  I need
>> to see how everything is going to work in order to determine if I want
>> to build a nice TV-component-style MythTV box (ie: how it's going to
>> work with my digital cable, and how I'm going to handle the IR stuff).
>
> It comes down to whether you want to spend hours, days or weeks on
> testing (and sending a lot of urgent pleas to a mailing list), or spend
> USD$10 on a sound card which just works.

You make a good point.  I'm hoping that once I set up a MythTV machine
once, the next one will go MUCH smoother (that's how I approached my mail
server).  Also, I'm probably going to have to get a totally new machine.
Right now I'm using an Athlon 1700+ XP.  I don't think I want to use an
Athlon for my REAL MythTV setup for one main reason:  heat.  My Athlon
1700+ COOKS and therefore needs a heavy-duty (read: noisy) fan.  I don't
think I want to have a machine on 24/7 that gets as hot as my Athlon does.

Jeremy