[mythtv] Mandrake 9 -- Help with ALSA

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:32:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi All--

I decided to ditch RedHat and install Mandrake9 in an attempt to get myth
to work.  I followed the HOW-TO for Mandrake in the cvs/docs and I've
gotten pretty far.  Here's the deal:

I can run xwatv WITH sound.  I can record sound on line-in via one of the
sound recording apps and it plays back fine.

However, when I launch 'mythtv' the system reboots!  It doesn't just hang
it actually restarts the machine.  Guess that this isn't proper behavior
for MythTV <grin> I'm looking for a little help from others using
Mandrake9.

First, I thought Mandrake9 uses ALSA be default.  Is this correct?  How
can I tell if I'm _actually_ using ALSA?  Do I need to set up the proper
/dev/dsp or /dev/audio or /dev/snd?  Does Mandrake do this automatically?
I think Mandrake9 might be using devfs...does anyone know if this is true,
and will it cause problems?

Any other helpful advice would be great.

Thanks!