[mythtv] Audio feedback and audio themes

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:32:21 -0500

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 06:03 pm, Dan Schwarz wrote:
> So as long as I can't change channels, might as well work on something
> else. :-)

Try ALSA 0.9.0rc6 =)

> Comments? Is anyone else working on something like this?  What's the
> most appropriate way to play .wav files within mythTV?  If there's a
> library function I can call to do this, great. If I have to call out to
> an external program, not so great. I've been looking at QSound::play but
> it seems to depend on some weird network audio system.

There isn't any way to play wavs from within mythtv right now, but
parsing/playing .wav files is extremely easy to do..  A lightweight
implementation is easily < 100 lines of code.  I've been pondering moving
most of the mythmusic core into the libmyth library, but it doesn't play .wav
files.

Anyway, the hardest thing about doing that would be making sure that the dsp
device is only used by one playback at a time..

But, if you want to write all that, go right ahead.  It'd be a fairly neat
thing to have.

Isaac