[mythtv] New user

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:34:07 -0700

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 06:04:35PM -0800, Wes Biggs wrote:
> So I'm going to take the plunge and build a MythTV box for a Christmas
> project, er, present, and given that the only spare hardware I've got
> lying around was bought sometime in the last millenium, I'm planning to
> go to the local computer fair and get a new rig.  My plan is your
> typical "media center" machine, headless except for the TV out, with one
> or two big fat hard drives for TV and music.

Modern drives are pretty fast so you might save some $$ by just getting 1
good 7200rpm drive.  If noise is an issue get a liquid bering drive such as
the Seagate units.  Maxtor has a slightly faster liquid bering drive but
they havn't been buiding this type for nearly as long as Seagate.

> It sounds like many posters here have had good luck with Athlon 1800s so
> I may go that route.  Anyone have any preferences they'd like to share
> for MoBos?

I REALLY like the current SiS chipsets and tend to choose boards based on
them.  Unfortunately most of these boards are from the various PCChips
companies and many people don't like them because they are cheap (in both
senses) but I've had no trouble with their current SiS based stuff.  All the
on board stuff (ethernet, sound, ide controllers, etc) seem to be well
supported in Linux.  The full atx boards from both Amptron and Elitegroup
have enough room around the cpu socket for the large Alpha 8045 heatsinks
which make it a lot easier to build a quiet machine.

--
Ray