[mythtv] Motion Blur in MPEG4

Chris Liscio mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:26:49 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I've got the AthlonXP 1700+ in my mythTV box now, and was watching a bit of
live TV, noting any strangeness I came across.  One of the most annoying
things about mpeg4 is that there seems to be a constant motion blur effect.
I watched a recording of The Simpsons and it demonstrated the motion blur at
the worst.  In fact, any sort of animation shows this effect off.

So on to my question, is there any way to get rid of the motion blur?  At
the moment, I have tried mpeg4 at 480x480, and 640x480 with the rest of the
quality/compression settings left at the default.  Both show the same
effect.  It's just a bit clearer in 640x480.  ;)

In the meantime, I have reverted to using rtjpeg, as the quality is far
better than that of mpeg4.  This strikes me as very strange since I recall
watching many a DivX DVD rip and noticing none of the blurring...

Could someone enlighten me on where this motion blur may be coming from?  I
wouldn't mind sticking with rtjpeg (bigger HDs are getting cheaper,
anyway...) but I prefer the compression achieved with mpeg4, and would like
to stop all my upgrades cold.  My mythTV box is slowly beating out my main
machine in performance!! ;)

Cheers,
Chris