[mythtv] New user

Monty Walls mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:22:48 -0600

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:34:07 -0700
Ray <maillists@sonictech.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 06:04:35PM -0800, Wes Biggs wrote:
>
> I REALLY like the current SiS chipsets and tend to choose boards based on
> them.  Unfortunately most of these boards are from the various PCChips
> companies and many people don't like them because they are cheap (in both
> senses) but I've had no trouble with their current SiS based stuff.  All the
> on board stuff (ethernet, sound, ide controllers, etc) seem to be well
> supported in Linux.  The full atx boards from both Amptron and Elitegroup
> have enough room around the cpu socket for the large Alpha 8045 heatsinks
> which make it a lot easier to build a quiet machine.

You might look at the Leadtek 735KDA, a little higher priced, but
nice quality work (SIS735, which is my desktop).  With an athalon
XP2000, I can encode 640x480 TV to divx/mp3 in real time with
about 10% to spare. Has all the standard SIS 735 gizmos.

A couple of tuning tricks to consider:

on video filesystem, add noatime to mount options.
on ext3 based video filesystem add data=writeback to mount options.

Also replace v4l with v4l2.

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls@castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission