[mythtv] New user

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:29:57 -0700

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 02:51:59PM -0800, Wes Biggs wrote:

> Here's an economical starting point I found -- wondering if anyone has
> experience with this mobo (ECS K7S5A, SIS735 chipset)...
> http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3516254/

I've built several systems around that board and they work fine.  I'm not
100% sure if the on board sound would work well with Myth so you might need
a real sound card.

> The one thing that stuck out when I was looking at this is the IDE
> interface only supports 33/66/100.  Is this going to kill me with Myth?
>  Should I look for a new 133 IDE bus?

The real world difference between udma 100 and udma 133 is approximately 0.
Even the fastest current hard drives are just barely able to transfer data
to/from their platters fast enough to push udma 66 interfaces near the limit.
Also most current boards that offer udma 133 do so with an extra controller
built into the board in addition to their normal udma 100 controller.  If
you really want an extra controller you're better off buying a seperate
controller card.

--
Ray