[mythtv] My Setup and a few notes

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 02:28:53 -0500

On Sunday 24 November 2002 12:53 am, Michael Kedl wrote:
> I have made a few changes, nothing big.
> 1) I run with a virtual desktop since I simply switch from 1280x1024 to
> 800x600 when I want to use MythTV.  So I changed the mythtv to follow the
> size set in the settings instead of "fullscreen" which expands to the full
> 1280x1024 even if the screen size is 800x600.
> 2) To get the TV out to work I integrated in the atitvout calls.
> 3) I run xmame in DGA modes, so I hooked the atitvout calls into the
> mythgame system to kick tv out in after xmame starts and again after it
> exits.  Not a great solution, but I will have to learn how to better
> config the laptop TV out modes.
> 4) hooked in xine for borderless 800x600 dvd playback
> 5) hooked in konqueror for 800x600 browsing mode of videos
> 6) added icons for everything

Icons? =)  I'm always looking for more artwork for things..

> I'll try to control my digital cable box tomorrow.
>
> A) how come this fast machine has problems "sometimes" during "live"
> watching?  it never seems to get close to running 100% loaded.

I'm thinking the most likely thing is probably the harddrive speed.  My
laptop, at least, gets rather bad transfer rates outta the harddrive.

> B) is there a way or a planned way to export the videos so they can
> be played by something else?

Someone's working on export/burn to VCD functionality, so once that's done,
exporting to other formats should work just as well.

> C) home come pressing m to bring up the epg in tv mode doesn't work?  is
> the video on top of the epg somehow?

Which window manager are you using?  Whatever the default Gnome WM
is nowadays seems to have problems with this in particular..

> D) sometimes the overlay of show information doesn't go way; is this
> a known bug?  is there a way to force it off?  I have to hit ESC and then
> come back in.  Changing channels causes new text to be displayed, but it
> still doesn't ever disappear.

I've never seen this, and I don't think it's been reported before..  I'm
assuming you're using 0.7?

Isaac