[mythtv] DVD Functionality (was: Clarification)

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:43:35 -0800 (PST)

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:25:56AM -0800, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
>
> (hmm, squirrelmail doesn't add attributions to quoted text...bug filed)

>> :( I was hoping to get rid of my old DVD player...and being able to
>> "live record" DVDs would be great ;)
>> >
>> > What would be the benefit in "live recording" a DVD?  It's already
>> recorded.
>> >
>> I'm a big fan of moving digital data around ;)  But you could capture
>> the DVD at a lower quality (akin to how people rip CD audio to MP3)
>> and even burn SVCD/VCDs.  Or you could capture a funny part of a movie
>> and send it to someone.
>
> Sure, but there's no "live" component to this kind of activity.  You can
> do these things with a DVD at your leisure.

Yeah, you're right.  I suppose the "live" part is a little silly.  But I
think my other points are valid (the part of the e-mail you snipped out!).
 I think a convergence box isn't fully realized without DVD integration
(IMO).