[mythtv] Statically compiled?

Matthew mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:52:44 -0700

Would it be possible to statically compile the MythTV/Music, like Freevo is
doing?  Would this not help get new users up and running more quickly, by
reducing dependency on specific library versions and distributions (freetype
and vorbis)?

P.S. If you are wondering why I don't try this myself, it's that I have not
been able to completely work out the dependency issues to a fully working
system.  The closest I got was a working MythTV that would not change
channels (EPG working) and a non-working MythMusic.  I have tried RedHat 7.2
and 7.3 as well as a brief stint with Debian 3.0.

Please don't take this as an attack on the work of Isaac and others.  I give
major props to those that do the real work around here.

Thx,
Matt