[mythtv] New Mythtv user with Matrox Marvel G200TV (Resend)

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:53:01 -0700

I'm re-sending this because the original had the wrong From address, sorry:)

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:21:42PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Sunday 27 October 2002 12:56 pm, Ray wrote:
> > Thanks, that seems to work mostly.  For some reason it only calls my
> > external command in S-Video & Television mode but not composite, no big
> > deal for me and probably easy to track down.
>
> If you could try using current CVS, and see if that works, that'd be cool.

That fixed it.  I can now tune my dss tuner to any channel except the
"local" channels (upper 800s) but that's an XMLTV issue or a problem with
the data source.  I did run into 2 new issues however (actually 1 new and 1
old that I had forgotten about).

1.  The cvs version exits with the error "Illegal Instruction" if I have
deinterlacing turned on in the settings.txt.

2.  mythfilldatabase starts fetching beginning with tommorows data rather
than todays.

> > Sure, I'm using a modified version of the script found at
> > http://www.hitchhiker.org/dss/ to change chanels on my RCA dss receiver.
> > I'm not a perl hacker but I managed to chop off the interactive bits of
> > that script and it does manage to change channels and exit as it should.
> > Mythtv is such a nice piece of software I'm inclined to stick with it and
> > try to modify the bits that I can to work better with my Marvel.  The
> > capture quality of the Marvel with it's hardware mjpeg really is great and
> > most fixes for it would apply to other Zoran based capture cards as well
> > (Iomega Buz, DC10 etc.).
>
> It really shouldn't be all that difficult to modify things to use the hardware
> compression.  The API for that is really similar to what's going on with the
> current video capture, so at least it _should_ be fairly simple.

I'm planning on taking a shot at it but I'm not much of a programmer aside
from the occasional script.  I've also mentioned MythTV on the marvel-linux
and mjpeg-user mail lists so maybe someone there will take an interest.  One
of the folks on the marvel list has a patched version of ffmpeg that uses the
Marvel's mjpeg hardware so maybe a look at his changes would help.

--
Ray