[mythtv] 3 problems: sound, switch to tv, failure to quit

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:56:54 -0700

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:50:41PM -0800, Cedar McKay wrote:

> 1) sound issues:  I'm having some sound sync issues, the sound far
> ahead of video problem mentioned in the faq.  The faq instructs me to
> mute the line in etc etc. Now I have no sound. It occurs to me that in
> the myth command line setup routine, the default video device was
> called /dev/video, where mine was really /dev/video0 which I discovered
> via xawtv. Is it possible that the default sound device is also not
> appropriate for me? Would the setup program complain if I had the wrong
> sound device chosen? How do I figure out what my device name my sound
> card is actually using? ps, the sound card is working for other apps.

You need line in muted AND your sound card needs to be set to record from
line in.  Remember when Mythtv is "playing live tv" it is really recording
live tv and playing back that recording a few seconds later. Most linux
sound drivers default to record from mic so you'll need to change that with
your favorite mixer app.

> 2)if I run the command line app mythtv I successfully can watch tv,
> pause, ff, rewind etc, all perfectly except for the sound issue
> mentioned above. Similarly mythfrontend seems to be working ok too. I
> can schedule shows, resolve conflicts etc, but I can't switch to
> watching live tv. I've tried it a few times and it either just pretends
> that I haven't pushed the live tv button, or once, switched to a
> picture of the blue background. No tv in site though. As a side note, I
> assume the "setup" button doesn't do anything yet? Not on mine anyway.

I've run into a bit of wierdness there too, what happens if you go into
"watch live tv", change to a channel, then go back to the guide?  Does it
seem to work right then?

--
Ray