[mythtv] Having a few problems :(

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:42:53 -0500

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 11:03 am, Martyn Weber wrote:
> Hi
>
> Trying to test MythTV, machine is totally underpowered but just trying
> to prove the concept before I invest in a new PC for it.
>
> Have a WinTV Stereo version installed in a K6 300 with the database on
> another machine. Linux is SuSe 8.0.
>
> Everything compiled and installed ok after changing the settings.pro to
> avoid the invalid instruction problem.
>
> The database has a load of shows stored in it and I can see these in
> mythepg. However MythTV wont change channels. It seems stuck on channel
> 48 and I get no other info in the OSD. I am in the UK so specified
> europe-west, PAL, etc. I have tried selecting just a Terrestrial setup
> but this didn't make much difference.
>
> The console is claiming the database is the problem if that gives anyone
> a clue, although I can't see what's wrong.
>
> Can I also ask a question about the channels.cpp. Am I correct in
> thinking that this scans the channels available using the TV card to do
> the scanning? If so, could this be the problem as the TV signal is weak
> and channels are not always located via a scan (I entered them into
> xawtv (etc) manually)?

It doesn't exactly scan for channels, it just uses that as a guide.  Most
likely, your database isn't setup quite right.  You need a valid cardinput
entry that links a capturecard entry and a videosource entry and the proper
input you're using on the capture card together, else things break.  The last
set of questions that setup asked should've set that up for you.

> Also installed MythMusic, is it possible to configure this to use MP3
> rather than Orb Vorbis? Would like the MythTV device to be where CDs are
> 'scanned' before being downloaded to a mobile/car MP3 player.

Yeah, if someone wants to write a little encoder class that wraps lame or
whatever, and add support for writing back id3v2 tags.  It wouldn't be very
difficult to do, but I'm fairly happy with the current ogg and flac support.

> Thanks for the great piece of software, sure it's probably something
> I've done incorrectly

Isaac