[mythtv] strange OSD problem

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:48:09 -0500

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 07:30 pm, Patrick Landry wrote:
> OK. I just got home and took a look. That is definitely the
> problem. The Makefile in the themes subdirectory tries to run strip
> on the themes directory when doing an install. The strip fails and
> the install bombs at that point. None of the following install
> commands are executed. Just edit the Makefile, remove the strip
> commands from the list of commands for the install target and
> then do the make install again.
>
> I assume a change is needed in themes.pro to prevent the strip
> commands from making it into the Makefile. I don't know why
> this isn't a problem with distros other than gentoo. Since the
> Makefile does not indicate that errors with the strip command
> should be ignored I think make is doing the correct thing by
> bombing out.
>
> Thanks for the pointers.

There's a bug in qmake which other distros are patching..  It (qmake) should
check if it's a directory target first, before adding the 'strip' line.  So,
you can either:

 ) Get whoever maintains the gentoo port to add the patch others are using
(it's a one liner that just adds a check for if the destination is a
directory when writing out the strip line).

 ) Get whoever maintains the gentoo port to update to qt 3.0.6 (released a
week ago), as that also fixes the bug.

 ) Remove the strip lines manually.

Isaac