[mythtv] Thoughts on encoder farms / distributed capturing and viewing

Robert Middleswarth mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:36:27 -0500

Robert Kulagowski wrote:

>>>Proble no possible as that would require alot of bandwidth
>>>

>>on you local
>>

>>>network I not sure most nic card could handle that much
>>>

>>data you would
>>

>>>have to create some form of mess network were you have 2 or
>>>

>>3 Nic in
>>

>>>each machine to send thought all that data.  Also there
>>>

>>would be alot of
>>Sure, that's kinda what firehose is for, team it with some
>>gigabit nics over
>>cat5e and it would probably be usable.
>>
>>http://www.heroinewarrior.com/firehose.php3
>>

>Which is nice, except I think we started off on the wrong foot by
>assuming that we're transferring raw video over the network, which
>we're not.  Remember, the video coming from the encoder node, whether
>it's being displayed locally or being fed over IP (either through NFS
>sharing of the ringbuffer.nuv file, or directly filling it) has
>already been through the compressor, so we're not nearly talking the
>same amount of data.
>
>Looking at settings.txt, the default is 3.3Mbps for mpeg4; this is
>well within the capacity of even 10Mbps ethernet.  Might be an issue
>if it's 10Mbps shared hub, but there you go.

As some who has worked with 10 Mbps ethernet it isn't 100 Mbps yes
wouldn't a problem unless you try to also xfer a saved image at the same
time.  Example I have recorded enterprice on this machine and my wife
wants to touched by an angel and the schd put this on my mothers box who
is watching Seveth Heven that is recorded on box B.  So we would have
the encoded runing data to my wifes box C.  NFS Xfer to My Box D and Mom
Pulling Data from Box A all three adding up to over 10 Megs way above
the limit I have seen on most signal nic card.  It could be done but
would require 2 to 3 nics on separt networks and Switch adding cost and
complety in my opion.