[mythtv] Thoughts on encoder farms / distributed capturing and viewing

David Watson mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:55:41 -0500

>>>o  A "hint" system for shows that are on multiple times per day.
>
>If there is good esponde guide info then there should be a no
>problem as the system will see same episode descriptions and wont record
>but when there isn't a usable description and all that is list is the
>shows name 5  times a day.  Figuire out which one to record and which
>one not to may not be so easy.

Actually, this can be a lot easier if you just try to fix the
program guide, i.e. change the entries in the database.  The logic
already exists in the scheduler to deal with multiple copies of the
same episode and avoid other conflicts at the same time.  So, if
you just write a small script to generate identical subtitles and
descriptions (say the date of the first showing), and run it after
mythfilldatabase, the existing code can do the work.

I've been meaning to write this for a while, but I haven't have the
time.  I'll try to make it generic enough for other people to use
and send it to the list when I have a chance.

David