[mythtv] suggestion

Cedar McKay mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:33:43 -0800

For those of us with computers that can barely get the job done, I have
a suggestion. I really don't know if it is feasible or not. Here goes:
I've observed that the rtjpeg encoder is easier on the CPU, but make
really large file sizes. For me, I have to use rtjpeg, and no mp3
encoding in order to get acceptable record quality. This makes for
whopping 6 gigs/hour file size. Could myth tv possibly record live tv
in some high quality/large file size/low cpu usage mode, then when
mythtv isn't busy, (not recording or displaying a show) it could go
through and compress those files using more cpu intensive encoders that
will create smaller file sizes? At the very least mythtv could leave
the video alone, but convert audio tracks to mp3 after the fact (saving
500 mb/hour), during idle time.

sadly I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag if Gwyneth
Paltrow were waiting for me on the other side. So this can only be a
suggestion.

best  --cedar

by the way, if anyone out there needs help getting mythtv installed on
their Red Hat 8 systems, I can help. Just email me privately.