[mythtv] Thoughts on encoder farms / distributed capturing and viewing

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:00:38 -0700

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 08:49:29AM -0500, Robert Middleswarth wrote:

> I wasn't saying it can't be done I am saying that it might not work with
> hooking eveything up with a single nic into a 100 Megabit switch and not
> have problems.  I was saying that it might require some Muilt-nic
> installs to get the bandwidth require that would cause additional
> complexty which is something that would be good to avoid is possible.
> Yes I known that switch and Nic are cheap it wasn't the money I was
> thinking about it was the complexty I was thinking about.

Even after re-reading your other messages I still don't see how you'd come
even close to saturating a 100mb nic without a lot (like 5+) Mythtv systems
all running at once.  Also consider that as things stand most systems sold
today can encode mpeg4 in real time at full or nearly full res which should
help the bandwidth problems.  Computers arn't getting any slower either.

--
Ray