[mythtv] Separate Record and Play boxes? (system design)

Steve mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:48:36 -0400

>I dunno if NFS will be workable for this.  It may add enough jitter
>that some sort of additional buffering logic will be needed in the
>player.

I'm currently using NFS to store all of my movies, and playing them back
(with mplayer) without any sort of problems.

My setup is 100Mb, but I wouldn't want to try anything slower, though.

I routinely set the cache in mplayer to 4096KB, just to be on the safe
side, but even if I forget to do this, there is not jitter apparent in
the output.

BTW the machine that's playing the movies uses PXE (network) booting and
has no hard drives in it at all, uses NFS for it's root filesystem as well.
I think there's enough horsepower in NFS to do what you want.

Steve